November 9, 2015

Homework Helpers/Passes-Version 2

I used to not like homework passes. I thought it was a way out for the kids. And I felt like I never gave busy work, so all my homework was important. However, I was highly "encouraged" to make them/hand them out one year, so I reluctantly did so. And I found that I liked what they offered.


Homework passes are a great way to give students responsibility; these passes require students to take responsibility for their actions when using the passes. With my passes, students must check one of the boxes stating that they either: didn't do it; chose not to do it; or had other homework that had a higher priority. This at least makes them stop and think about it for a minute, and decide if it's worth it.

A great option is to offer extra credit points for students who don't use the passes [usually the students that don't actually need the extra credit], but this allows you as a teacher to say that you do offer extra credit in your course.


I also found that it's a great way to weed out a bad assignment. I once had half my honors class use a homework pass on an assignment....I no longer did that assignment. :)

So I've made a second version for you guys. This one is worded a little differently than Version 1, and has a slightly different look.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment