October 6, 2015

What an experience...and apology letters

I have to say--subbing is a whole different game. I've never, in my 8 years of teaching, dealt with students like this.

I have tried EVERY trick in the book, and some out of the box ones, and nothing can keep these kids quiet for more than 5 minutes at a time.  I know they're 6th graders [in middle school] and I know they need walking around time and time for getting the wiggles out, but come on. Any ideas??



Yes...I'm still subbing for the woman I started subbing for on September 10th. So it's going on 4 weeks now, and so the students have had me longer than they've had her. I'm doing my best to teach the "lesson plan" and help the kids learn something. But most days, I just feel like I'm babysitting.

I don't know what I thought long-term subbing would be like, but this is not what I dreamed. I want to be a great sub...one that the teacher comes back and says, "Wow! She actually did what I asked her to do and the kids got their work completed!" I had no idea teaching 6th graders would be so mentally, and physically, exhausting.

ON another note...I subbed for another teacher on Thursday [we had planned it long before this teacher ending up staying out longer] so that was a nice little break. However, "my" kids in the classroom I've been long-term subbing for, were HORRENDOUS!!! I could hear them yelling in the next room, cursing, flipping chairs, etc. That poor sub had zero control. I actually had to leave the current classroom I was teaching in, walk to the other classroom and tell them to calm down....multiple times!

So when I came back on Monday, boy howdy did those kids get it. I made them write apology letters to the sub for being so disrespectful and rude. I am actually going to have the secretary send them to the sub. I don't like making writing a punishment, but this needed to be done. A few students wrote me an apology letter too....super sweet. Of course those were the kids who were sitting in the back trying to actually work on what the sub gave them. :)

Anyway, trying to stay positive and starting each day with a fresh and positive outlook :) Just hoping I can hold it together until Friday [my supposed last day] :) Then a 4-day weekend!!! Woo hoo!!

Good luck this week everyone...and happy fall!

2 comments:

  1. I had one of those sub days this week too...I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on that one! Hope your kids get the picture sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Why are the kids so crazy when there's a sub? I figured they would have calmed down a lot because I've been there for 4 weeks! NOPE! lol Good luck to you!
      Stephanie

      Delete