September 13, 2015

My First Subbing Experience [& PSL is back!]

Well it finally happened; actually sooner than I was thinking it would. I got my first sub job...my first FIVE actually. Weird for the first two weeks or so of September!

Anyway, I got back from CA Tuesday night, then had to take my fiance to the airport Wednesday morning, so I saw him for all of 10 hours...7 of which we were sleeping. Oh well :) So Wednesday was raining and fabulously fall feeling, so I got a #PSL and headed home to watch my DVRd shows and do some laundry from the trip and such. It was a glorious day :)


Thursday I woke up, took a shower, and finished writing thank you notes and working on making a Shutterfly album of my shower weekend :) Then I said, what the heck, I'll check and see if there's any jobs available [even though I had checked 20 times yesterday]...this was at 11:30. There was a job!!! For 11:45! Good thing the school is 2 blocks away, literally.

So I threw on some make-up, tried to find some work pants that fit, and headed over...got there at 11:45 on the dot. I didn't have time to worry or stress or freak out about it. It happened so fast that I just went in and got to work.

This job was for a 6th grade ELA class. I felt ok taking the job because I have an English credential, and I had done 7th & 8th my first two years of teaching...back when I had more energy ;)

So 6th graders are a lot more squirmy than I thought they would be. I don't know what I thought they would be, but I didn't think they'd be THAT squirmy :) But they were super cute and eager to please.

Then toward the end of the day, the VP came in and asked if I could sub for her again tomorrow [Friday], and of course I said yes! Friday turned out to be a little more than I bargained for in regards to a student situation, but everything turned out ok in the end. Turns out I'll be subbing for her Monday and Tuesday too!!! Woo hoo for work!

Then just yesterday, I picked up a half-day job for a high school English class! My comfort zone ;) So I'm excited about that too :) I'm wondering if these early jobs are just flukes, or if it will be steady jobs from here out...??

OH! And my substitute business cards arrived Friday while I was at work...so I'll be bringing a few to the middle school for the front office, and I'll be leaving one for the teacher. The notepad was SUPER disappointing. I really thought it was bigger...it's really small :( I'll barely be able to write much on it...oh well.

Thanks for reading everyone!!!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I just wanted to let you know my experience subbing a few years back when I was in transition from just doing a year at a school on a temp contract when I first started getting my cert to become a teacher. I found that after mid September the subbing positions picked up and we're almost five days a week if you don't mind subbing for whatever. Of course, I also got to know the sub caller for the district (they didn't do it randomly online) and that was the best thing because she got to know me and I had good feedback so she would call me often and especially if it was for English since that was my background. Even after I secured a job that year in November, she continued to call because she forgot that I got a full time position! So it helps to be known, as it always does in teaching. Good luck and I hope you find yourself busy subbing-- I actually loved some aspects of it more than a regular position (no planning and bringing no work home!) but I was happy to have a position full time again once I did. The funny thing is the kids were sad (cuz I was very regular at one school in particular that they got to know me) when I told them I would be leaving. Aw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also my "were" up there autocorrected to we're! Not an idiot English teacher here 😉

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for sharing your sub story too! It's nice to hear others' experiences. I do think I'll be able to work 3-4 jobs a week with just Middle & High school...hoping to just do English and History-Math scares the daylights out of me :)
      Hahaha, Don't you love auto-correct??
      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is awesome! I just wanted to let you know I always enjoy reading your blogs. Keep them up even if it's not always about teaching. I subbed my first whole year out of college and can absolutely relate to subbing stories. Good luck in your subbing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will most certainly keep blogging!! I've got a wedding coming up next month so I'll have to share about that ;) And of course...my journey through subbing! Thanks for reading!!! :)
      Stephanie

      Delete
  3. When I was subbing a few years ago, I was able to turn away jobs and pick and choose my favorite teachers and districts to sub for! Of course, I'm not in even the same corner of the country as you (I'm in upstate New York) so I don't know for sure that you will have the same experience. But if you're a good sub and work for several districts, you'll get plenty of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  4. When I was subbing a few years ago, I was able to turn away jobs and pick and choose my favorite teachers and districts to sub for! Of course, I'm not in even the same corner of the country as you (I'm in upstate New York) so I don't know for sure that you will have the same experience. But if you're a good sub and work for several districts, you'll get plenty of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! Subbing is such hard work. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people that do it. Teaching a class that you don't have a relationship with a lesson that you did not create is seriously hard work! I don't think substitutes get enough credit.

    Hope the jobs keep rolling in for you! :)

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was hard to keep them under control...and I used all the tricks in the book :/ But they still got what they needed to get done, complete :) So I think it was a good day :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Stephanie!

    Love your blog! I just started subbing this year as well! I decided to sub for a year before I got my credential so that I can truly see what grades I like! I'm so glad I did, because I originally wanted to teach high school English but I'm really loving 7th and 8th grade now! I'm in subbing in Socal and boy are the jobs everywhere! I could sub 5 days a week if i wanted to. I'm picky though, trying to stick with ELA 7th & 8th or high school English. I've been lucky to have had pretty great students so far, but subbing is definitely more difficult than some may think. Coming into a foreign classroom, where the kids don't know you, and you're hoping to God that the teacher has left adequate plans for you. You never know what you're going to get. I always bring a binder of activities that I could do JUST in case the teacher left nothing. Haven't had to bust those out yet.
    Just out of curiosity, have you taught before and now your just subbing?
    Glad to hear you're getting a lot of sub jobs. They are so low on teachers in CA right now, so subs are in luck!!

    Best,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just came from SoCal and my school was HURTING for subs. I have been teaching for the last 7 years...never subbed. So this is a very new experience :) Thanks for the info and good luck! :)

      Delete