August 24, 2015

Mixed feelings on this First Day of School

It's the first day of school for so many people...but not for me. Feeling a little sad about that, but also a little happy.

I mean, let's be honest...there's positives and negatives to this whole move that I just went through. I'm getting to be with my future husband; we're getting married in October; we bought our first house; and I get to live in Texas, which I always wanted to do [I had this fantasy that it would be like the TV series Friday Night Lights with Connie Britton...only not as hot as it actually is.] Essentially, I'm getting everything I ever prayed for growing up. I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom, but we don't have kids yet, so I'm just at home.

Things I miss about work:
-My co-workers
-Commiserating over the same rough kiddos
-Coaching
-Seeing kids excited to learn
-The Renaissance Fair
-Actually Teaching

Things I don't miss about work:
-The politics going on at that school
-That moment when you find "that student" that is going to make your year miserable
-Grading a million, literally probably 1,000, essays
-KIDS NOT DOING THEIR HOMEWORK AND THEN THE PARENTS GET MAD AT ME WHEN THEIR KID'S FAILING
-Being exhausted

Even with all the things I don't miss....I still miss teaching. Maybe I miss it because I no longer have a pay check. For the first time in forever, I don't have a steady paycheck. That is very scary. Maybe I miss it because I'm currently bored and it is something to do. Maybe I miss it because it is my identity..."What do you do?" "I'm a teacher". What am I now?

I'm excited to sub, but it won't be the same. I'm only hoping it will be different, and a good different. An experience I won't forget :)

Happy First Day of School everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't realize you were no longer teaching. What a huge step in a different direction! I don't know how I would feel being in your shoes. I hope this next chapter in your life brings you much happiness. Best of luck to you. And thanks for all your excellent blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't realize you were no longer teaching. What a huge step in a different direction! I don't know how I would feel being in your shoes. I hope this next chapter in your life brings you much happiness. Best of luck to you. And thanks for all your excellent blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm still blogging!! :) I'm also considering myself as still "teaching"...I'll be subbing for this year, but hope to find a full time job for the next year :) But thank you for the well wishes :)

      Delete