April 23, 2015

Getting students involved...Mock Trial

I LOVE doing the mock trial lesson. The kids get so into it, and it's a great way to get kids involved. Even if they don't "like school" EVERY kid gets into this assignment. They get to argue; they get to disagree; etc.

We read the book Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton in 10th grade English. In the novel, a character accidentally kills someone, but because he is black in South Africa, he does not receive a fair trial. So we give him one! The kids use the book as evidence and get really into it...so great!!

I give them a direction sheet, and the order the trial will go in. They get several days to plan, and they will get to ask witnesses questions and such. I am the judge/jury :)


This is the graphic organizer I give them to prepare :)

If you're reading this book, and want to do this, just check out my unit plan for CTBC!

No comments:

Post a Comment