October 10, 2014

Balancing Work Life and Personal Life

Well this is a hard topic for a lot of us. I know that I struggle with it for sure. I used to spend A TON of time doing school related activities/assignments.

I used to coach the cheer team...an 11 month commitment, which included practices, traveling to games, camps, and then creating dances and cheers on my "off" time.

Then I was also on two committees for work, and at one point, taught 5/4 sections. CRAZY!!! I never had time for myself....especially with having to grade essays...forget about it!

But this year, this year is different. I'm not gonna lie, it's because I'm actually in a relationship. I am being forced to have a personal life ;) But this has been the best thing for me. We should not be spending 100% of our time doing school-related activities. Yes, I still have to grade essays and stuff...but I've been really trying to get as much graded at school as possible.

This year I've utilized my TAs to the fullest. They grade quizzes and tests [multiple choice and/or fill in the blank, and I grade the written portion]; they grade little homework assignments; they enter grades into my paper gradebook and then I put them in the computer gradebook. This has really helped save me some time.

So this weekend, I am headed to Arizona with my hunny and we are going to see the U of A game, and then Sunday we'll see the Cardinals game. This is the first time in my teaching career that I've done a weekend "vacation" during the school week/year. Usually I would wait til Summer, or Thanksgiving, or Christmas break to take a little trip. So this is good for me! I may have to grade a tiny teeny bit in the car ride there...but then I'll be 100% focused on us :)

So this is sort of a friendly reminder to make time for yourself. Don't let school overwhelm your life...just don't let it. It's a conscious decision we have to make every day. I still struggle with it every day, but I try my best to balance my life better now :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Great topic! It is true...with doing extra-curriculars, it is so easy to get swept away and let school be your life. It's something I was guilty of in my first years of directing the school play. It is almost hard work to not let work take over your life, but it IS worth it! Enjoy your mini-vacay with the hunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get caught up in everything :/ The vacay was good, thanks!!

      Delete
  2. This was a very refreshing blog post to read this morning. I, like u last year, have overwhelmed myself with committees and clubs for my school. At one time I was actually doing 4 things for the school, which was killing me because I never had time to grade ANYTHING. Lucky for you, you have TA's. I wish I had one, but 74 students to 1 exhausted English teacher is my cup of tea this year.

    :::Currently at a Dunkin Donuts waiting for my car to be fixed and grading papers::: (lol)

    I'm happy for you that you found yourself a relationship and that's helping you get away from the temptation of school (as I like to call it). Us, teachers we sometimes get caught in our work-- leaving work hours after the bell rang just help tutor a struggling student, grading papers for hours while listening to a good audio book. I, myself, still struggle just putting it all away and taking time for myself.

    Having a relationship is a great way to get your me time. Wish me luck that this season I find myself a man!

    -Kristine Norat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post! Just felt the need to put it out there. It's so easy to get caught up and let school consume our life, sometimes we all need a little break :)

      Delete