August 5, 2014

Mixing It Up For The New School Year

New school year= new syllabus. Yup! Changing up my syllabus for this new school year.

I used to have a 3-4 page syllabus because I wanted to make sure I covered everything, and had a "good defense" if parents ever complained...I could always just refer to the syllabus they signed. But over the years, I've learned that if my syllabus was super detailed, it sort of backed me into a hole and basically turned against me because parents would say "well, it's not in the syllabus".

Anyhoo :) I've decided to go to the one-page syllabus! Gasp! I didn't think it could be done! I first saw the idea on Pinterest [of course], but his content was not what I wanted, so I took the boxes on one page idea. But by the end, I was even struggling with what to put in the last box! Awesome :) I'm really happy with how it turned out, and am going to use this method for a while; I love it!!

*All I did was make different text boxes in a Word doc and fill in the background different colors. I liked mixing up the sizes too because it draws the eye to different places.

So here is my finished product...with my school email crossed out, and the school name ;)
If I make it any bigger, it doesn't fit on the page for some reason, so sorry about that :/ But you can see how I laid it out well enough :) I think it fits perfectly on one page and am not sure why I ever needed a three page syllabus!

What are you guys doing for your syllabus this year??

18 comments:

  1. I love it! This is next on my list today, thanks for the motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needed to be done :) Hope yours turns out awesome too!

      Delete
  2. This syllabus is awesome! I'm going to try to make mine a 1 pager as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know if you'd like help :)

      Delete
    2. What program did you use to create your syllabus?

      Delete
    3. Just a Word doc and a bunch of text boxes...you can fill text boxes with color :)

      Delete
  3. Do you have the original pin? I would love to see both before making my own version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do...if you go to my Education board on Pinterest. It's a guy's English syllabus.
      http://www.pinterest.com/pin/238761217719512154/
      Just copy/paste into url :)
      Stephanie

      Delete
  4. I do something similar except mine is graphic! It is made up of multiple shapes and then I type into the shapes. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7yIb8UuXbb9RjVFcU5wX0tFZkk/edit?usp=sharing This is an example one that I typed up as a preview for the product that I sell, but mine looks really similar to it. I love just having one page. Plus, it's easier for my students to keep up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the one-page syllabus! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! I agree that more than 1 page is probably excessive, but if you're asking for signatures, does that mean you're collecting the sheet? And if so does that mean the student or parent doesn't have the copy? I think I want my students/parents to keep the syllabus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the syllabus on my website so they can access it all the time. I also just walk around and check for the signature, mark it in the grade book, and they keep it in their binder :)

      Delete
  6. As someone who is starting out as a first year teaching, I find this super helpful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you find it helpful! Good luck this year! :)

      Delete
  7. This is AWESOME. You need to make this a template and put it on TpT. I would pay for something like that. This semester I'm still going with my old reliable, 2 page syllabus. I may shorten it up for second semester though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a bunch of text boxes...you think people would pay for that??

      Delete
  8. Do you have this template available somewhere? I would totally buy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear all I did was put text boxes in the page :/ I'll send you mine if you'd like...email?

      Delete