May 17, 2014

A Couple of Crazy Days with the San Diego Fires & Testing

Let me start by saying that everyone I know is safe; that's the most important part.

It started when I left Wednesday around 10:45am to go to my nail appointment [school was already done for the week because of State Testing] and I saw smoke when I left my complex. The fire was in Carlsbad, about 3 miles from my parents house; they thankfully did not have to evacuate. My grandma, however, did have to evacuate her home in San Marcos, but was able to go home yesterday.

What touched me the most was that I actually had a few students text me to ask me if I was ok. I could not believe that they would even think to ask that with everything going on; I was so surprised. What's even better is that they are students from a few years ago, still at our school, but they still care. That has always been my goal as a teacher-to be someone kids can go to if they need something and know that I'm there for them. And Thursday, that care was returned. It makes me happy to be a teacher and know that these kids know I care about them.

For those that are interested, I've uploaded a picture taken from my patio Thursday morning before it got really bad :/
[And this was just before that whole ridge there was engulfed in black :( ] 


And now, just wanted to share a few pics of the cute messages I did for my students for testing day. We used to do a week of testing, but now with the transition of Common Core, we only had a day of testing this past week [Tuesday seems like a lifetime ago with everything that has been going on].

As you know, I made this cute little note:

And then I hole-punched it and tied it to a bag of Chips-Ahoy cookies.

And then put them on the desks for when the students came in.


 The kids thanked me and liked the treat, and hopefully all did well on the test! :)

Well.....I hope everyone has a good Saturday and please keep praying for our firefighters and first responders who have been working for FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT now to fight the fires around the community.

Take Care,


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the cookie idea!! I might just steal it for next year's testing!

    Mandi
    Life WIth Middle Schoolers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you like it! I figure I could always use it for some other big test like the end of the year Final or something :) Thanks for stopping by!
      Stephanie

      Delete