March 10, 2014

What's New??

Well honestly, not much. I haven't really had much to blog about lately...so I haven't, and I feel like a bad blogger :( But seriously...since we teach the same thing each semester [we offer accelerated courses and I get a new set of kids each semester], I've already got my lesson planning and such done from first semester. Obviously I make tweaks here and there and add some new stuff, but things have been going pretty smoothly... lesson plan wise. And in February I went crazy and made two new units: my Pearl Unit, and the Fahrenheit 451 Unit.

I just got through grading my first set of essays [argument papers on Animal Farm] and get the re-writes back tomorrow. We've moved onto our Holocaust unit and so the kids are doing the Literature Circles that I created. They really like doing this because it's student-led learning, not the teacher barking at them all day :) Here's a reminder of my Lit Circle Unit-it can be used with any book and meets Common Core Standards.






The only class that is struggling with these is 3rd period...my class with 21 boys and 5 girls :( Who does that to a teacher?! That class broke me Wednesday...I actually had to step out so they wouldn't see me cry. It was that bad. I've used EVERY trick in the book, I've used my QLN training, I've tried EVERYTHING! And they are still a crazy group of kids. 


In other news, I started my new job as Assistant Softball Coach two weeks ago. We had tryouts, two practices the next week and then our first game...after only two practices. We only lost 6-5, which is pretty good considering we have several girls that have never played and don't understand the rules...on a Varsity sport. Oh well. At least we get all this week to practice before our next game next week. We'll get there!

Anyway, that's what's new with me. Not too exciting but I'm sure something will come up that will be blog worthy :) Talk soon!


4 comments:

  1. My 5th period is 10 boys and 2 girls. You would think with a small class it would be okay, but I'm having the same issue. I almost cried on Friday because they made me so upset. Hang in there, girl! We're all in this together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too!!! Why do they do that to us?! We work so hard to make things interesting and engaging, and they just don't care. Sucks :( You hang in there too!!!! :)
      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. The thing about boys (especially in high school) is that they love a reaction...i don't know what it's like for you but for me, the second i show that i'm stressed, they've won because now they know what to do. whatever you do, try to keep your aggravation a secret but at the same time, if they're being really bad, send them out without a warning, or at least make sure you follow through the FIRST time after you've warned them or they might never take you seriously ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true that they love a reaction...which is why I walked out of the room. But yes, I am going to start sending them out of the room. I'm just torn about also teaching them respect and letting them prove themselves to me...

      Stephanie

      Delete