January 5, 2014

Mixed Emotions....

So we start school again tomorrow. I'm having mixed emotions about it. While I've missed my students and the routine of work, I've found myself relaxing these last two weeks. Even though I had to grade essays....there was no pressure. I didn't have parent emails, no students asking me to repeat the directions 500 TIMES even though it's also written clearly on the handout. I didn't have parents questioning why I teach something a certain way. I didn't have issues with my department to stress about. I've been a little bored so to speak, but hey, I'd take that any day over parent drama.

Yet, I miss the kids. Even though they drive me nuts most days, I miss them. I want to make a difference in their lives. I want to show them that reading and writing can be fun. I want to show them that someone wants something better for them. I want to push them to be the best they can be.

So even though I am dreading waking up at 5:45am again, I think it will be good to get back in the classroom.

Just wanted to share this little post because I'm sure, somewhere, someone else is feeling the same but maybe didn't want to say it out loud :)

Have a great first week back at school everyone!!

10 comments:

  1. We lucked out with a snow day tomorrow, our first day back. Well, I say lucked out but we also have blizzard conditions and -45 degree wind chills. Not fun. I am feeling a lot like you, though, in that I like having a routine and miss seeing the kids and my co-workers, but man, it was nice to sit around and read by the fire every day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a half day today so that helped me ease back into it :) Thanks for sharing :)

      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. We had school on Thursday and a snow day on Friday. It was actually nice coming in on Thursday, because it was a taste of normalcy with the knowledge that I would be able to sleep in the next day! (Waking up early is the thing I dread the MOST out of work weeks.)

    Good luck waking up in the morning! We're all going to need an extra shot in our lattes tomorrow. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird that you would go back for a Thursday and Friday...waking up early today was rough!! I had some iced green tea this morning and that helped :)

      Stephanie

      Delete
  3. I work in the same ton as Mrs. L, so we also have a snow day. I have to say, the waking up part is the part I dread most about work. I need to start a school that has a late start schedule every day. I need my sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I will start a school with you that starts at like 10am :) I'd rather work 10-5 anyway....all my non-teacher friends work til 5 or 6 anyway :)

      Stephanie

      Delete
  4. I feel the exact same way, and thank you for putting it into words! Even though I LOVE my students, it's the anticipation and anxiety that gets me almost fearing returning to work. I don't look forward to the long evenings ahead of me with the musical starting either. :( I am thanking my lucky stars we were off today and are again tomorrow, bonus days!!! Hope your first day back was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...extra curriculars [which it always seems we are expected to do] really eat away at you. Keep your head up. Maybe start a relaxing yoga DVD every now and then for stress relief ;) I'm starting that this year :)

      Stephanie

      Delete
  5. We've had two snow days (no snow, just frigid cold!) and we are finally going back tomorrow on a two-hour delay. I completely understand your feelings. I love the relaxed feeling I get over break. I think it's a combination of wearing blue jeans, getting to go pee whenever I want, and sleeping in past 6:00 a.m., all things that a lot of folks take for granted. I miss my students and I'm ready to see (most of) them again, but a small guilty part of me is so not ready to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about the getting to pee whenever! I missed that yesterday after making the mistake of drinking my whole iced green tea :/

      Stephanie

      Delete