September 15, 2013

Procrastinating Grading by Baking....

It's a disease. Yeah....it's the end of week 3 and I'm already procrastinating grading. But the baking is so productive for my work week too! I made homemade, gluten-free, dairy-free, blueberry muffins! Now I can have my banana in the morning, and then bring the muffin with me to work as my 2nd breakfast before school starts :)

I also made gluten-free chocolate cupcakes for desserts this week. I've tried fighting the need for dessert, but every night it creeps up again; so I might as well be prepared ;) And if I were to go to the gluten free bakery and buy half a dozen cupcakes, it would still cost almost double what it cost me to make a dozen here at home. Sigh....the price of gluten free food is ridiculous! Oh well :)


So now I don't really have any excuses to not grade anymore :/ I just really don't want to. It takes so much time to write all the comments on the papers...but I really need to do that this first go around so they can start improving right away. I like to return mini papers [An Intro, Body, and Conclusion] within a few days, and they turned them in Thursday...I have to get them back to them first day back this week. I just get so distracted at my house by TV, crafts, magazines, etc. And at Starbucks I get distracted by people-watching... SO FUN! But I know I CAN DO IT!!!!!!


Where do you guys like to go to grade if not at home? I'd love any suggestions! :) Thanks!



8 comments:

  1. I'm known to haunt the local coffee shop for hours. They have free wi-fi and they have gluten free monster cookies, biscotti, brownies, and scones. They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! So jealous of the g-free goodies!!! Maybe I should try a less commercial coffee place and I might find peace & quiet :) Thanks for the suggestion!!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. I get stuck on Pinterest. Often, I am looking at work-related items. Oh, the irony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah! I totally do too!!!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  3. I am soooooo bad about letting distractions interrupt the work I should be doing! Especially on a weekend like this, with the first real hints of fall - I just want to be all cozy and relaxed and daydream about the events of the upcoming months. And baking is one of my all-time FAVORITE ways to spend a fall weekend day!

    A quiet place I like to work outside the home is the Starbucks cafe at Barnes and Noble. Still get my 'bucks fix, but it's a less busy, quieter environment. And I'll admit I absolutely LOVE the smell of books you get there (I can't be the only one! I refuse to be ashamed!).

    Now in my 8th year, I've finally got it downpat where I bring very little grading home (which means using every "free" or "available for multitasking" moment like a fiend!), and I do the bulk of my lesson planning in my head during the commute, during runs, etc. Where I get stuck is creating the materials I'll need for the fabulous lessons I come up with! Perhaps what I need to do is start creating lessons which include the kids producing their own materials, eh?

    This wound up being quite the long comment, sorry! I just connect so well to the topic!

    Good luck with the grading!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm done grading! Woo Hoo! I think there is a BNN cafe up in Oceanside about 20 minutes away. Might be worth the drive next time!

      I have all my lesson plans done for the quarter so at least that helps and all I have to do is grade!

      I'm glad you connected to the topic...thanks for commenting and sharing your fabulous ideas!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  4. You're going to hate me but I haven't graded papers at home since I student taught. I make a deal with my students at the beginning of the year: I will not take grading home, but I also will not assign homework. The only way this works is if we both promise to use ALL of our work time wisely. I miss out on a lot of socializing with my co-workers, but I love walking out of the building with empty hands. It's the same expectation I have of my students, so I think it's fair for me to follow my own rules. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! No homework to grade would be great! Unfortunately we do our years by semesters; I only have the kids for a semester and we do a whole year's worth of English in a semester. There's no way I can't give homework. Many times the homework is reading a chapter that we will do an activity with the next day, sort of a flipped classroom, but there are still several things to grade :/ But that's so awesome you can do that!! Thanks for sharing!

      Stephanie

      Delete