August 11, 2013

Getting into the school mode...Food planning

School starts tomorrow!!! [for teachers] and I'm pretty excited. Some of you have asked for posts about what to make for lunches and I don't feel like I'll be much help...because I have recently [since Nov.] had health issues and have had to become Gluten-free and Lactose-free. But, I do have some good ideas on planning meals for the week, and how to use those for lunches! Plus, I am finding more and more great gluten free recipes that are working for me!

So today, I've been baking/cooking to prepare for the week.

I started by making gluten-free chocolate zucchini bread; I'll be using this as breakfast [long with a banana] in the mornings this week. I found the recipe on Pinterest...but there's no need to re-pin it because it's soooooo easy:

-grate 3-4 zucchini, depending upon how much you like zucchini :)
-3 eggs [blend into the zucchini]
-Then just add in a pre made gluten free chocolate cake mix [I use Bob's Red Mill stuff for everything]

Pour into a bread pan [or even split into two], and bake for around 40 min...checking after to see if it's done.


Then I made a lasagna for the week! Yup! I can eat lasagna!!!!!!! I used gluten-free noodles, pasta sauce, turkey meat, zucchini & carrots, and ALMOND CHEESE!!!!!! I get to eat cheese :)

I'm so excited!!!!! This will be my dinner for the week, and a few lunches. For the other lunches, I'll make a pb&j on gf bread. I also try to bring a fruit or veggie and keep Lara bars at work in case I need more. 

So excited about my first gluten-free and lactose-free lasagna!


Hope you guys have a great first week back, and have fun making food that can work with your schedule and budget :)

10 comments:

  1. I start school tomorrow too & I've spent the afternoon cooking so I won't fall into the bad habit of drive through food several times a week. My friends and family don't really share my interest in cooking & I think I bore them when I share how accomplished I feel when a week's menu is ready on Sunday. Today I've made breakfast burritos, soup, and chicken to use in salads and wraps. So glad I have a place to share this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Way more cooking than I did :) But that'll be so nice to have stuff at the ready. I used to do drive through too, also because I'm single and it's easier, but now with this stomach stuff I really can't do it anymore. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. So glad you were able to find that it was gluten making the difference! It can be hard to track down! I also have a gluten sensitivity - please let me know if you want ideas for lunches/meals/etc. Here's are my food boards on pinterest. The recipes in Yum! are mostly gluten free, but if they aren't it's because there's an easy substitution.

    http://pinterest.com/lisswain/yum/
    http://pinterest.com/lisswain/dinner-this-week/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I would love ideas! The tough part is that a lot of recipes are gluten free, it's just the lactose part that makes it a little tougher to find :/ I'll check out your board!! Thanks for sharing!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  3. Almond cheese...didn't know about this at all! I am also gluten and dairy free (and soy) so I'm always looking for new ways to create my favorites. Now to see if I can get the kiddos to eat it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister told me about the almond cheese because I am trying to avoid soy too. I found it in a block, just like normal cheese,at Sprouts in the non-dairy cheese/milk/yogurt section!! It shred just fine for the lasagna; now, I haven't eaten the lasagna yet, so we'll see :) I'm so happy to find out that other people share my tummy issues....now we can help each other out with ideas!!

      Stephanie

      Delete
  4. Awesome that you plan your lunches, etc for the week! As a FACS teacher I whole-heartedly approve :). My husband's co-worker's always envy his lunches because he brings "real" food - they always mention "must be nice to be married to a home ec teacher!"

    I'm working on stocking up the freezer, so on nights there are no leftovers to pack in the lunch bags it will be easy to pull out a frozen meal.

    And by the way, almond cheese is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I need to start freezing more :/

      Stephanie

      Delete
  5. How did I miss this post? I just blogged about my food prep for the week :) I'll have to add that GF bread to my list! Thanks for sharing!

    Jen
    Teaching Teens in the 21st!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I just saw your post about the food too!

      Steph

      Delete