July 8, 2013

Procrastinating

Procrastination. It's something we all tell our students not to do; yet here I am. I am procrastinating reading Cry and creating the curriculum for it. I think I'm just a little overwhelmed and not sure where to start, which makes sense. I know Common Core isn't that different from the State Standards, but everyone is making such a big deal about it, I feel like this unit has to be perfect! :/

I also feel a little bit of guilt about being lazy and "not working"...but then I justify with "Isn't that one of the perks of teaching? Getting the summer to take a break?". But I do; I feel guilty for not working on the school stuff. [Well if you count looking at Pinterest and other blogs for teaching ideas, then yes, I've been hard at work.]

Anyway...what are your thoughts on working over the summer? Should I feel guilty? Everyone's sitting around and I'm relaxing and reading fun books, looking at Pinterest, etc.  Oh, and blogging, that keeps me distracted ;)

Have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. I know how you feel...

    I just feel like I am spending too much time getting my new classroom ready and not the curriculum ready. How do you balance the two. I have no idea HOW to do that.

    -Jessie
    Lil Bit Country In the Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the classroom ready is WAY more fun!!!!!....Maybe to balance we could do a system...for every 2 hours of decoration we have to do an hour of curriculum?? lol

      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Totally understand! I like to read Les Miserables every other summer as a prep for my AP Lit class (they read it over the summer) and this is my summer to reread...instead I've read 5 other books and have read only 27 pages of Les Mis. I try to tell my students to pace themselves and figure out how many pages they need to read each night in order for them to finish on time...maybe that's a good solution for us teachers too - small goals, one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I've now read 2 new fiction books [chick lit I guess ;)], and only 30 of Cry, The Beloved Country :/ Maybe I should calendar it out....seems smart :)

      Stephanie

      Delete
  3. I totally get teacher guilt, especially over the summer. I've almost felt bad about taking a class and learning something myself over the summer. I think it's important to find a good balance between relaxation and work. But also, ours is a pretty high-stress job during the school year; I don't think one should feel guilty for taking the summer to reboot, and do some reading for fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get some work Donetsk other day :) I shouldn't feel too bad! :) Thanks for following!!

      Steph

      Delete
  4. I can relate to this entire post! In fact, I am procrastinating right now by reading your entire blog, but I can justify it by realizing I am getting some great ideas. I also agree that Common Core adds some pressure to "perfect" unit plans. My stress level is pretty high right now, as I prepare for next week's start of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Common Core does feel like you need "perfect" lesson plans. I figure since technically it's not in effect until next year...I can still tweak as I go. And I've stopped procrastinating and came into work this week....totally helped me feel better :)

      Stephanie

      Delete