July 16, 2013

Nominated for a Liebster!!

Thank you so much to Mandi over at Life with Middle Schoolers for nominating me for a Liebster Award! I love that more people are starting to read my blog and finding it useful! 

So, what is a Liebster exactly? Well, it is an award for bloggers with less than 200 followers to recognize new blogs. I started blogging a little over a year ago and have loved having a place to interact with other teachers who have wonderful ideas to share. I recently hit my 100 follower mark, and am now setting a new goal of 150...maybe this will help! hahaha  


Here are the 11 Questions Mandi asked me to answer:
1. How long have you been teaching?
I just completed my 5th year of teaching. I have taught every grade I'm credentialed to teach [7-12]...exciting!

2. What's your favorite teaching moment?
It was actually this last school year. I started an English Support Class for students struggling in English. I was preparing them for the CAHSEE [California High School Exit Exam-all high schoolers have to pass it to graduate], and most of the students would not have passed prior to the class. When I gave them their first practice test, none of them got even close to passing :/ But after my class, all but 2 passed!!!!!! And the two that didn't were only points away :) I was so proud...I think it was the most useful I felt in a while. :)

3. What's your favorite blogging site? (it doesn't have to be related to teaching)
I don't really have a favorite...there are so many awesome ones it is ridiculous! How do you choose??

4. What is your favorite place to buy things for your classroom?
Uh, do you need to ask?? Hahaha. Target, Office Depot, Michaels, etc.

5. What advice would you give new teachers?
STAY ORGANIZED!!!!!! See my blog for tips ;)

6. What three things are always in your teaching bag?
Does this mean my purse/school bag? Or is it metaphorical? Well, I always have a red pen, a positive attitude, and Starbucks :)

7. What's your teaching style?
I don't like to stand up front and teach. I think we learn best, and it sticks, when we do it ourselves; I often demonstrate then have the kids do the work. I'll walk around and check out their progress. I encourage group work and partnership. I'm also "strict" when it comes to enforcing expectations.

8. What do you love most/worst about teaching?
I love when kids get excited about learning or have that "Ah ha" moment. The worst thing about teaching is not so much the grading of essays, but when the parents undermine me or believe every little thing their teenager says without looking at my website, or even shooting me an email to check :/

9. What's your favorite piece of technology to use in the classroom? How do you use it?
I love having the kids use the laptops for research; I use Power Points; I have them do WebQuests; and good 'ole You Tube.

10. What could you not live without in your classroom?
Air, Light, the jokes the kids tell :)

11. What do you love to do when you aren't teaching?
I like to blog :) I like to hang out with my friends and their babies, shop, have coffee with friends, and enjoy the San Diego sunshine :) 

11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I am pretty much legally blind without my glasses or contacts
2. I am gluten and lactose free :/
3. I have the cutest little nephew
4. I coached cheer for 4 years
5. I have taught every grade I'm credentialed to teach
6. I am a BTSA Support Provider [new teacher induction program]
7. My favorite color is pink
8. I am a Starbucks Addict
9. I love decorating my apt....I can't wait to own my own place to fix it how I want :)
10. I want to get a puppy next year
11. I've been working so hard to pay off my debt and buy a new car! End of next school year is the goal!!!

So now, here are my 11 Questions for my nominees: 

1. How long have you been teaching?
2. What's your favorite teaching/coaching moment?
3. What's your favorite blogging site? (it doesn't have to be related to teaching)
4. Which store is your favorite place to buy things for your classroom?
5. What advice do you wish you got as a new teacher?
6. What three things are always in your teaching bag?
7. What teacher inspired you as a student?
8. What do you love most/worst about teaching?
9. What's your favorite piece of technology to use in the classroom? How do you use it?
10. How do you plan to incorporate the new Common Core Standards this next year?
11. What do you love to do when you aren't teaching?

And my 5 Nominees Are:
Hangin' With Hekken
English with Mrs. L
Juggling ELA
Teach it Write 
IBTEACHNU Language Arts

Go check out these great blogs! They have so many ideas that we can use in our classrooms, I love it! 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the nomination! :)

    Jessica
    English With Mrs. L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your award! I just started a teaching blog, so it is nice to see up and coming bloggers gaining readers. I would love to share resources with you!

    thecurlyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete