March 4, 2013

Professional Development

Loved today! We were given a day of professional development to go observe other teachers in our field. I chose to go back to the school where I did my student teaching because I still have a connection with my master teacher.

As you may know from reading the blog, I started an English Support class this year for students struggling in their current English class. Well Erika also teaches a similar class, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to observe. She gave me a ton of resources at the beginning of the year so that I could get my class off and running, and they have worked out really well thus far. It was exciting to get to see how she teaches, the curriculum she uses [her school adopted a book/curriculum for this course this year], and the student response. Though we have a very different student population, it was easy to see how the activities she is using could be easily adaptable to my classroom.

I was also lucky enough to observe Jill [my 9th & 10th grade English teacher!] while she taught her Senior Seminar course. Our school has a Senior Project, and we have been struggling with how to integrate it into the English Department. While Jill didn't really teach today, the kids were presenting their career projects, I was able to find some great items that my school can use in our Senior Project course.

All this idea sharing is why I started this blog, so it was so uplifting to get to experience other teachers and glean some ideas from them.

Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment