December 5, 2012

A-Z Alphabet Theme/Motif Game

Test time!! My students have a test on Black Boy tomorrow, and to help study I created a study guide. I also however, created a game! I tried this once 5 years ago in student teaching, but hadn't used it since. We did it today and the kids had so much fun!!

First, I split the desks up and made an aisle up the middle of my classroom which also created two teams.
Second, I made the posters for the students to write on and covered the title of the poster until we played the game [I didn't want them distracted by thinking about words].

RULES:
1) Only one person per team at a time writing down a word
2) Students must write words in alphabetical order: 1st person must do A, 2nd must do B, etc.
3) NO shouting out answers to the person writing, if you need to help the person, whisper it up the line like "telephone" :)
4) First team done wins, IF the teacher approves all the themes/motifs written down...so the other team should keep going in case the first team isn't approved!
*I gave the winning team 2 extra credit points on their test

Check out the pics...we had fun!!!




Letters X, Y, and Z are obviously the hardest...so I was a little easier on them. But Xi means peace in Chinese and a student came up with it :) Youth and Zeal work, so YAY!!!

Try out this game and see if your kids like it :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. I just found your blog via Farley. I have a High School Blog Log on my site. Check it out and let me know if you want to be added. Thanks!
    http://2peasandadog.blogspot.ca/p/high-school-blog-log.html

    ReplyDelete