Root Definition Example Words
Chron Time Chronological, Chronology, Anachronistic
Normally I make a practice quiz for them to take to study for the quiz. But when we're in the Black Boy unit, we have a little fun! Black Boy is set in the south, and the main character's uncle owns a saloon. So we had a little Roots Showdown, or Roots Shootout technically. I first learned about this from the QLN workshop I've been to the last two years...I just add my own touches. It's a fun game that the students LOVE, and it's a great way to practice for the quiz.
Here's how it works:
- Student's go up two at a time, and I give them plastic, orange guns
- They stand back to back
- As I count to 3, they take 3 steps away from each other, just like a shootout
- I then say the Root word
- Whoever turns around first, shoots, and says the definition of the root....WINS that round!
- The winner stays up, and the next opponent steps up
- Whoever stays up the longest, wins.
Here's a pic of how I decorate the doorway to set the scene:
But this game could work with anything: Vocab, Spelling, Parts of Speech, even for other subjects as well. Try it out and see for yourself how into the kids get!
See, Learning is Fun!