September 22, 2012

Peer Revisioning

One of the best ways I know to improve a paper is to peer edit. I have always loved when people looked over my paper before I turned it in for a grade. Well now I do this with my high schoolers. At first, the peer editing process was helpful for some and not for others...and this made me think about how I could make it work for ALL the students.

I decided that my peer editing needed some updating. Now that our department is using the common language of the 6 Traits of Writing, I decided to update my peer editing using those traits. I also changed the name to Peer Revisioning [our department chair uses this with her freshmen] because it has a different meaning. We're not just editing for spelling and commas, we're creating a new 'vision' for our paper...so we're Revisioning!

I created 6 rounds for the peer revisioning, as seen in the picture below. You might notice that the sixth round is "Read Aloud" instead of convention. This is because I tell the students to do conventions with every round, especially if they've "finished" revisioning for that round and think they have nothing left to do :)
I have found that this new way to Peer Revise has worked really well and has been helpful for ALL students. I love when new ideas work!

How do you peer edit? I'd love some other ideas too!

Happy Revisioning,
Ms. W

3 comments:

  1. I always struggled with this as well. Now I group students in groups of 4, whenever possible. I usually end up with some groups of 3. Each person gets a different colored highlighter and is assigned a specific thing to look for. For example, being verbs or sentence beginnings. They highlight that thing in their own paper first. Once they are finished they pass the paper to their left and do the same thing with the new paper. When hey get their paper back, they look at what has been highlighted and decide if they need to change it or not. I'm not sure I explained this well, but it is the only way I've managed to make peer editing work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I did that when I taught Jr. High and it worked really well too! Maybe I'll mix it up and go back to that once or twice :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. We use Google Docs for peer revision in my classroom. Students share their file as "can comment," and their revision partner highlights problem spots and leaves comments about them. The writer can then "resolve" them comments once they have gone back through and made changes. Google Docs is also a great way to save paper (which is a big push in our building).

    ReplyDelete